Here are a list of notable tweets on climate and security matters from the past week. If we’ve missed any, let us know.
- @CntrClimSec Friday Editorial: U.S. military prepares for climate change http://jacksonville.com/opinion/20180323/friday-editorial-us-military-prepares-for-climate-change …
- @CntrClimSec AFRICOM Commander on Climate Change: Sahel Receding Almost a Mile Per Year https://climateandsecurity.org/2018/03/16/africom-commander-on-climate-change-sahel-receding-almost-a-mile-per-year/ …
- @GlobalActionPW UNSC brief on Lake Chad Basin security and development,
@Kazakh_Mission cites climate-related displacements that add to already unacceptable regional food insecurity levels. Lake Chad now reduced by 95% and still receding.
- @GlobalActionPW At UNSC brief on Lake Chad Basin security and development,
@CarlSkau cites climate change as a “threat multiplier” that increases a variety of vulnerabilities. Adequate capacity for risk assessment urgently needed to inform SC, other UN decisions.
- @GlobalActionPW At UNSC brief on Lake Chad Basin security and development,
@NLatUN urges UN and regional players to focus on development and security early warning and risk assessment. We must all take climate change impacts into account in our policy strategy. Lake Chad is not unique.
- @AUS_Hansard Senate Inquiry: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade References Committee – Implications of climate change for Australia’s national security, 20th March 2018
#Hansard transcript is now available, http://bit.ly/2GiE54e
- @USACEHQ ON THE ROAD AGAIN: LTG Semonite,
#USACE CG, discusses flood risk management and the Bonnet Carré Spillway with @MVD_USACE and @TeamNewOrleans leadership #FloodFight2018 [VIDEO]
- @USArmyNorth On
#WorldWaterDay, here’s a shout out to the Soldiers and Marines in water purification units who produced over four million gallons of bulk potable water during our #HurricaneMaria response efforts. Great work!
- @ClimateDiplo LIVE ONLINE in 30 minutes: Discussion in the UN
#Security Council on #LakeChad. Ecosystem degradation & #water problems undermine livelihoods and increase tensions. WATCH THE STREAM: > http://webtv.un.org/meetings-events/security-council … featuring @chitranagarajan @AminaJMohammed @SigridKaag and others
- @StimsonCenter Check out Ellen Laipson’s most recent piece in
@WPReview examining US progress on the climate-security nexus here: https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/articles/24348/below-the-radar-the-u-s-is-making-steady-progress-on-the-climate-security-nexus …
- @carlvmercer As we close out the
#disaster recovery workshop in Dakar @UNDPNigeria Deputy Country Director @betty_wabunoha reflects on 2-days of talks, with topics ranging from #climate security to recovery in protracted crises to tools for post-disaster recovery planning. #BuildBackBetter
- @SustainableSand Tonight!
@SustainableSand and @cleanairNC present a FREE screening of AGE OF CONSEQUENCES @AoConsequences a doc about climate change and global security. Join Rep @JohnSzoka and Ft Bragg DPW’s David Heins after for a Q&A. 3/21 6:30PM 5th floor of @REVCoworking 100 Hay st
- @AIA_Resilience ICYMI – recently a nonpartisan group of sr. military & national security experts facilitated by
@CntrClimSec released reports identifying rapidly-growing risks to national security due to climate change & urging the government to take those risks seriously http://bit.ly/2D1YrJD
- @climatelinks Millions of $$ in investments have been made in weather & climate infrastructure in Sub-Saharan Africa over past few decades, yet sustainable
#climateinformation services (CIS) remain elusive. Recent webinar examined the state of CIS in Africa today: http://bit.ly/2FVLO4H
- @ACAPSproject #Ukraine Over 6-14 March, the
#Donetsk Filter Station staff were shot at on four occasions, hampering operation of the filter station that supplies water to 350,000 people in Donetsk living near the contact line. Read more: https://www.acaps.org/country/ukraine Map by @UNOCHA
- @Sticklor Using satellite imagery to increase disaster preparedness & improve climate resilience? This
#WorldWaterDay learn how @NASA & @USAID are joining forces to empower communities in 37 countries to create a healthier & more resilient world @SERVIRGlobal
- @ClimateDiplo Today –
#WorldWaterDay– the UN Security Council holds a meeting on #water issues at #LakeChad, with participation by Foreign Minister Kaag & UN Deputy Secretary-General @AminaJMohammed. >> Learn more about the UN Security Council’s and climate change: http://bit.ly/UNSClimate
- @AuSenate A public hearing is being held in Canberra this evening into the implications of climate change for Australia’s national security Live: http://bit.ly/LiveParl
- @MarosSefcovic About to address global
#energy & security developments @NATO w/ @jensstoltenberg @IEABirol @EnergyAtState.
- @ritvahautanen #Arctic states want to continue constructive cooperation in @ArcticCouncil in spite of tensions elsewhere. The AC is not a fair-weather forum, but ready to continue its work in different climatic conditions. This is how Finland would like to keep it @saochair @FIArctic #arcticmet
- @CntrClimSec The State of the Field in Climate and Conflict via @busbyj2 http://climateandsecurity.org/2018/03/20/the-state-of-the-field-in-climate-and-conflict/ …
- @FlorianKrampe The Nuts And Bolts Of A Climate-Conflict Link In East Africa. Read
@SIPRIorg‘s @MalinMobjork on her latest research in @NewSecurityBeat. https://www.newsecuritybeat.org/2018/03/nuts-bolts-climate-conflict-link-east-africa/ …
- @Gemenne Very happy to announce the publication today of the Routledge Handbook of Environmental Displacement and Migration, edited with Robert McLeman. With a foreword by Mary Robinson. https://www.routledge.com/Routledge-Handbook-of-Environmental-Displacement-and-Migration/McLeman-Gemenne/p/book/9781138194465 …
- @m_yonetani #Madagascar #Cyclone #Eliakim: Last report from national disaster risk management office (BNGRC), Sunday 19h00 = 17 people killed, 15772 affected, 6282 #displaced, 1271 flooded houses, 648 destroyed. via @Cycloneoi
- @fsindico Delighted to have contributed with Mallory Orme to the book ‘Climate Change and the UN Security Council’ https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/climate-change-and-the-un-security-council … edited by Shirley Scott and Charlotte Ku and published by
- @alertnetclimate How do you tackle climate change in conflict-torn countries? Join an online debate Wednesday at 2 pm GMT http://bit.ly/2psMg4D
#climate #conflict @bebraced @katiepetersodi @JanVivekananda
- @USAIDEastAfrica Farmers in Rwanda can now receive weather updates and seasonal farming tips directly on their mobile phones. The platform known as mAgri is an affordable digital software that provides agricultural information and services to farmers
- @reliefweb On 19 March 2018, at the 8th World Water Forum, join a high-level panel organized by
@UNFAO on behalf of @UN_Water focusing on the linkages between water stress and migratory movements globally. http://bit.ly/2GlAT5v
- @starsandstripes Infantry and helicopter units were training for an upcoming deployment when the fire broke out at Fort Carson, Colo https://www.stripes.com/news/us/fire-destroys-buildings-forces-evacuations-near-fort-carson-1.517313
- @securityandclimate New FAO report on “The impact of disasters and crises on agriculture and food security 2017”. Damages & losses result from climate change, extreme weather, market volatility, pests & diseases, & protracted crises and conflicts Read the report http://bit.ly/2GttEbF #UNFAO
- @DeptofDefense #DYK submarines have conducted under-ice operations in the Arctic region for more than 70 years?
The @USNavy trains with allies during Ice Exercise 2018 on Camp Ice Skate, #Alaska. #KnowYourMil
- @Climate_Refugee We’ll be part of the March 20 panel at this @Columbia @ciesin @earthinstitute event on the release of their @WorldBank report on #Climate #Migration & #Displacement. Event info in link. Join us for the conversation! @Alex_deS http://events.columbia.edu/cal/event/even … https://events.columbia.edu/cal/event/eventView.do?b=de&calPath=%2Fpublic%2Fcals%2FMainCal&guid=CALfirstname.lastname@example.org&recurrenceId= …
- @issuelab New exploration on the ‘Epicenters of Climate and Security: The New Geostrategic Landscape of the Anthropocene’ from @CntrClimSec and #SkollGlobalThreatsFund – read now on @issuelab
- @MajGenMunir Great informed discussion and debate on the issues climate change and climate induced migration.This followed screening of the docu-movie ‘The Age of Consequences’ at the International FilmFestival in http://Geneva.It features a number of climate security analysts incl me.
- @rabrowne75 .@PacificCommand’s Adm. Harris: “Russia has more bases north of the arctic circle than all other nations combined and is building more with distinctly military capabilities”
- @WCraigFugate FEMA flood maps massively underestimate real risks, study finds. Florida’s a hot spot. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article204971334.html
- @climatelinks This USAID resource helps development practitioners manage
#climaterisks adaptively, learn from the process & record/share learning http://bit.ly/2rZtplg
- @CSS_DL European Regional Organizations and Climate-Related Security Risks: EU, OSCE and NATO http://dlvr.it/QL695x
- @MetOffice_Sci Vulnerability to food insecurity projected to increase as a result of climate change. Mitigation & adaptation required to avoid the worst impacts. New paper led by @metoffice, http://bit.ly/2nKXlwI , presents research behind map developed with @WFP, http://bit.ly/2doMzYs .
- @AriPeskoe In 2018, it is still worth highlighting a federal official that speaks clearly abt climate change. FERC Commissioner Glick: “Climate change is the single most significant threat to humanity, fundamentally threatening our environment, economy, national security and human health.”
- @johnfkirby63 Superb bit of reporting by @jimsciutto & @ZcohenCNN abt @USNavy submarine presence, exercises in the Arctic. Vital region for our future, vital that we operate there. BZ to crew of USS Hartford!
Thank you for this great summary of important information available via Twitter! I’ll pass it on to my follow-up.