On April 27th, the Center for Climate and Security (CCS) will host the virtual roundtable, “Managing Unavoidable Climate Security Risks: U.S. Investments in Resilience” from 2:00 – 3:30 pm Eastern Time.
Senior U.S. officials from key agencies will convene to discuss investments in climate security, as reflected in the Administration’s Fiscal Year 2024 budget request in March. The Administration has made unprecedented budgetary investments in climate security to date, amid shortfalls in climate finance for the developing world and ongoing competition with China. At the same time, the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s comprehensive report in March underscores that adaptation remains inadequate to the impacts of climate change, some of which are unavoidable. As the Administration enters its second half in this environment, how can U.S. climate security investments position agencies to manage the unavoidable security challenges of climate change?
The event, moderated by the Center for Climate and Security Deputy Director Tom Ellison, will include:
- Ko Barrett, Senior Advisor for Climate, NOAA
- Joe Bryan, Chief Sustainability Officer and Senior Advisor to the Secretary, DOD
- Christina Chan, Senior Adaptation Advisor, SPEC
- Ann Vaughan, Senior Advisor for Climate Change, USAID
- Swathi Veeravalli, Director for Climate Security and Adaptation, NSC