Welcome to “Read, Watch, Listen” from the Center for Climate and Security (CCS), a monthly round-up highlighting some of the articles, interviews, and podcasts featuring the CCS network of experts.
In June, CCS experts focused on the recently released “Climate Action 2030” from the Navy, and the NATO ministerial which took place in Madrid.
- Sherri Goodman (CCS Senior Strategist and Secretary General, International Military Council on Climate and Security) participated in a high-level dialogue at the NATO Public Forum on Climate and Security. She was joined by Annalena Baerbock, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Germany; Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence, Canada; and Ángeles Moreno Bau, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Spain. (NATO Public Forum)
- Erin Sikorsky (Director) highlighted key takeaways of the Navy Climate Strategy. (The Weather Channel)
- Goodman chaired a panel on the U.S. approach to the energy transition, focusing on concerns about foreign oil dependence and consideration of other energy sources. (Council on Foreign Relations)
- Kimberley Miner (Non-resident Research Fellow) writes that climate change is turning summer into the deadliest season. (Hill Opinion)
- Elsa Barron (Research Fellow) writes that Syria, Ethiopia, and Ukraine illustrate the kinds of climate-conflict crossovers occurring today and in future. (Georgetown Common Home)
- John Conger (Emeritus Director) spoke on the mission importance of the Department of Defense shift towards carbon neutrality and renewable energy sources. (Bloomberg Law)
- The U.S. Department of Defense summarized key takeaways from Joe Bryan’s remarks at a CCS event focused on the climate funding in the Fiscal Year 2023 budget request. (Department of Defense News)
- Advisory board members, Sherri Goodman and Rear Admiral David W. Titley, USN (ret.), commented on the importance of the new Navy Climate Strategy. (Bloomberg Law)
- In the run up to the NATO Ministerial, several publications highlighted insights from the new IMCCS Expert Group report: “Decarbonized Defense: The Need for Clean Military Power in the Age of Climate Change.” (European Leadership Network, Plainsman Post, The National News, Inside Climate News)