General Ron Keys, U.S. Air Force (Ret); Senior Member, Center for Climate and Security Advisory Board; Chairman, CNA Military Advisory Board; former Commanding General, Air Combat Command.
Panel One: Climate Change Impacts on the U.S. Military
Extreme weather impacts on Tyndall Air Force Base, Camp Lejeune, and Offutt Air Force Base in 2018 and 2019 significantly disrupted operations and cost more than $8 billion, raising both Department of Defense and Congressional concerns about climate impacts on the military’s mission. Sea-level rise, flooding, wildfires, droughts, increased extreme heat days, record precipitation, and Arctic ice melt are impacting operations and base readiness across the United States and abroad. Senior Members of the Center for Climate and Security’s Advisory Board reflect on these risks and what to do about them.
- Lt. General John G. Castellaw, United States Marine Corps (Ret); Former Chief of Staff, U.S. Central Command
- Rear Admiral Ann C. Phillips, Special Assistant to the Governor for Coastal Adaptation and Protection, State of Virginia; U.S. Navy (Ret); Former Commander, Expeditionary Strike Group TWO
- Brigadier General Gerald Galloway, U.S. Army (Ret); Former Dean of the Academic Board, West Point
- Joan VanDervort, Former Deputy Director for Ranges, Sea and Airspace
- Hon. John Conger (moderator), Former Principal Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (Comptroller); Director, Center for Climate and Security
Panel Two: A Climate Security Plan for America
The Climate and Security Advisory Group (CSAG), comprised of former military officers and distinguished national security experts and chaired by the Center for Climate and Security in partnership with the Elliott School of International Affairs, has developed a Climate Security Plan for America. Designed as a Presidential Plan for Action, it contains recommendations for the President to protect our national security from the increasing risks of climate change. Our distinguished panel of CSAG Members will discuss the plan, which includes recommendations for organizational changes, new leadership positions, new investments in resilience across the national and homeland security enterprise, and ensuring our planning and resourcing is informed by the most up-to-date climate projections.
- Hon. John Conger, Director, Center for Climate and Security; Former Principal Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (Comptroller)
- Hon. Sherri Goodman, Chair of the Board, the Council on Strategic Risks; Former Deputy Undersecretary of Defense (Env. Security)
- Vice Admiral Dennis McGinn, U.S. Navy (Ret.); Senior Member, Center for Climate and Security Advisory Board; Former Asst. Sec. of the Navy, Energy, Installations & Environment
- Dr. Rod Schoonover, Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service; Former Director of Environment and Natural Resources, National Intelligence Council
- Francesco Femia (moderator), Co-Founder, Center for Climate and Security; CEO, Council on Strategic Risks
This event is free and open to the public. Please RSVP to expedite check-in.